Write technical materials, such as equipment manuals, appendices, or operating and maintenance instructions. May assist in layout work.
Technical Writer Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Technical Writer to join our team.
- Work in collaboration with the software vendors, implementation partners and IT teams to ensure everything is properly documented;
- Perform other duties as required;
- Take the initiative to drive improvements in process and quality of work to improve the end-user experience;
- Review and edit technical documentation drafts contributed by peers or others outside the Product Engineering team;
- Apply a hands-on learning approach; be willing to test and research new product features;
- Ensuring documentation is appropriately reviewed by SMEs;
- Testing documentation to ensure accuracy;
- Review existing documentation and correspondence to extract relevant information for the assignment;
- Produce final version of documentation and deliver for publication;
- Create training materials as required;
- Create user help manuals using professional language;
- Create high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience;
- Perform peer edits and proofreading to make sure documentation follows Magnet Forensics style guide and that language is clear, concise, and correct;
- Liaise with Agile teams by attending daily standups, retros, sprint planning sessions, and more;
- Work closely with UX designers to provide input into a globalized product by writing and reviewing UI strings.
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly, as well as understand why they’re important to our users;
- 3+ years technical writing experience with a relevant graduate degree;
- Proven track record of writing technical concepts and documentation from scratch with experience managing complex API documentation projects;
- 5+ years experience writing for software products;
- Strong task management skills; ability to function as project leader as well as individual contributor;
- able to collect and disseminate requirements and ideas from an engineering team;
- Manifest a high level of resourcefulness;
- Generating general office correspondence as requested (e.g., memos, letters, etc.);
- Superior organizational and time-management skills; demonstrated effectiveness managing multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Aptitude for adapting to new technologies;
- able to work effectively alone or within a scrum team, with a deadline or a plan;
- You usually don’t immediately know the answer to everything – but you are adept at using tools and seeking opinions to get the right answer;
- Strong sense of teamwork, personal integrity, and accountability;
- Ability to deliver content in different forms to accommodate different learning styles;
- Knowledge about the SDLC and software development including Agile and Scrum methodologies.