Line Cook follows a menu to prepare and cook meats, fish, poultry, gravies, cereals, soups, vegetables and other food according to proper preparation methods. May require a high school diploma or its equivalent. Being a Line Cook typically reports to a Sous Chef or Executive Chef. The Line Cook has gained proficiency in multiple competencies relevant to the job. Works independently within established procedures associated with the specific job function. To be a Line Cook typically requires 3-5 years of related experience, or may have 2 years experience plus an associates degree, or additional training or certification.
Line Cook Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Line Cook to join our team.
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications;
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Kitchen Manager or manager-on-duty;
- Keep the work area, utensils and production equipment clean and sanitized;
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed;
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement;
- Ensure all food is prepared fresh and is of the highest quality;
- Follow safe food handling procedures at all times;
- Perform all opening, closing and cleaning tasks as instructed;
- Ensure quality of food and consistency;
- Monitor and record the inventory of ingredients;
- Train and supervise new hired cook(s) or kitchen helper(s);
- Oversee kitchen operations during breakfast shifts;
- Ensure that the kitchen, all food prep areas and all food storage areas meet restaurant cleaning standards;
- Work with team of cooks to do portion prep work for other shifts when needed;
- Maintaining a clean and sanitary work environment.
- Strong organizational skills;
- Dedicated to a high level and standard of food quality;
- Previous experience cooking and handling food in a high-volume, casual dining restaurant is an asset;
- Positive attitude and willingness to learn;
- Menu development experience;
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds;
- Language: English;
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours);
- 3+ years line cooking experience (not prep), including plating, broiling, and following recipes, working in a high-volume non-fast-food restaurant;
- 2+ years’ cooking experience;
- Must have completed high school;
- Education: Completion of high school;
- Comfortable working with a team in a fast-paced kitchen environment;
- Must be able to multi-task and plan ahead.