The Contracts Manager manages contract administration staff and provides guidance on complex contracts. Prepares proposals, negotiates contracts, and administers commercial and government contracts in accordance with company policies and legal requirements. Being a Contracts Manager typically reports to a director or top management. Requires a bachelor’s degree. The Contracts Manager manages subordinate staff in the day-to-day performance of their jobs. True first level manager. Ensures that project/department milestones/goals are met and adhering to approved budgets. Has full authority for personnel actions. Working as a Contracts Manager typically requires 5 years experience in the related area as an individual contributor. 1 – 3 years supervisory experience may be required. Extensive knowledge of the function and department processes.
Contracts Manager Job Description Template
Our company is looking for a Contracts Manager to join our team.
- Responsible for administration of contractual insurance, bonding, warranty, escrow and other contract requirements (e.g. Buy America, DBE, etc);
- Participate in the implementation of mitigation plans;
- Represent the Contracts Department and support Project Management and Marketing on commercial/contractual negotiations with the Customer;
- Identify and notify immediately of any contractual risks, issues or exposures that arise;
- Monitor contract compliance by Thales and the customer (e.g. schedule delays, out-of-scope work) and take appropriate contractual actions;
- Travel to customer’s facilities as required to represent Contracts in discussions of commercial / contractual issues;
- Conduct research and obtain backup documentation with respect to controversial issues; potential disputes, and make recommendations;
- Represent the Contracts Department in status review meetings with Customers and internal project reviews.
- Ability to understand requirements and company policies particularly pertaining to contracts, insurance, bonding and risk management;
- Graduated in law and/or have experience in Contract management;
- Self-motivated individual capable of working independently with minimal supervision, who is also a team player;
- Engineering background is a plus;
- Excellent written skills, to ensure a proper level of professionalism with respect to correspondence to clients;
- 3 to 5 years of experience administering / negotiating / managing contracts, both client and supplier, in an international environment;
- Must be fluent in English. Fluency in other languages will be an asset;
- Strong organizational ability and problem solving capability;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
- 1-3 years of experience in drafting and negotiating contracts and/or experience in legal writing and research;
- 1-3 years of working Procurement, Legal or Supply Chain;
- Juris Doctorate.